Soulfire BBQ in Allston, MASS!



Quite recently I was disturbed to see a review for a hoity-toity, highfalutin, what-in-tarnation-the-dang-heck-is-this vegetarian bistro on our site. I could barely bring myself to read it, afraid that some kind of traumatic brain injury had suddenly afflicted Josh that would only become more apparent as I read on. Before I did, I decided to head out to my local meat shack in sunny Allston, MA, in a hasty attempt to regain credibility with our dear readers. Later I actually read his review and was actually quite pleased to see its meager C- rating. I should�ve known Josh wouldn�t have let me down like that! But at least the experience got me out to try a place in my �hood I�ve wanted to try out for a few months now. Ladies and gents, I present Soulfire BBQ.




I�ll start by saying this- if this review sways you to check the place out, you need to walk to it on the side street behind it. Not only will you avoid the riff-raff on one of the grungiest streets of Allston, Harvard Ave, you can enjoy one of the most pleasant smells known to humanity; the entire neighborhood smells completely of smoked meat. For those of you who have no clue what Allston is (99% of our readers, which equals out to about 4.8 readers), it�s a neighborhood in Boston on the B branch of the Green Line, close to Boston University.


If you find yourself in the city looking for quality grub but less crowds, it really is a great place to check out. Soulfire BBQ sticks out like a sore thumb on Harvard Ave amongst the mind-bogglingly numerous Korean restaurants and dive bars. And as I said before, take the right streets to get there and you can Toucan Sam all the way there.


I looked over the menu, salivating as I looked over all of the tried-and-true BBQ classics- ribs, steak, wings, etc. Then I saw something that caught my eye. A Reuben sandwich. Stay with me here, folks. Not just any Reuben sandwich, a Reuben with an intriguing twist. It had all the necessities- marble rye, coleslaw, and thousand island, but in place of pastrami these crazy BBQ brains replaced it with brisket!!



Brisket on a Reuben sandwich? NOW THAT�S CRAAAAAAZAAAYY



I said to myself, hey, why not. I like Reuben sandwiches and I like brisket. And if that�s not fat enough for the FGFB I�ll start myself out with some FRIED MAC+CHEESE, a novelty food so delicious it should be renamed God�s Testicles. That�ll do the trick.

But these didn�t look like omnipotent testes at all, for they were SQUARE!!



SQUARE FRIED MAC AND CHEESE NOW I KNOW THIS PLACE IS KOOKY!!



Kooky it was, reader. Because when I bit in to that thing, I wasn�t instantly covered by the cheesy Charlotte�s Web I had imagined when I ordered it. No, no. Disappointingly in its place I found only macaroni with cheese so sparse you would�ve thought it was a dystopian era of cheese Prohibition! And the restaurant was right across from the old-tyme police station! And a time-travelling cheese bandit had broken down his time machine there and decided to hit the place while he was salvaging parts!





No queso, NO BUENO

But, being the resourceful gentleman I am, I decided to use the disappointing Mac squares as a vehicle for sampling the five BBQ sauces provided on our table. There emerged the real star of this show, a truly delicious BBQ sauce known only as �Pitboss�. And call the pitboss I did because I had hit the jackpot of BBQ sauces. This BBQ sauce was so good the time-travelling cheese bandit tasted it and decided to give up his queso-hunting career, broke his time machine, and become a server at Soulfire where he could eat it any day to his heart�s content. Yeah- it�s a really good BBQ sauce.


Then came out my Reuben. The brisket was juicy, flavorful, and tender, and was complimented quite well by the peppery-semi-sour coleslaw, and sauce Pitboss.




While it was a great sandwich, I really should�ve seen through this shallow facade before I ordered. There�s a reason why pastrami usually comes with pastrami, because it�s probably the best meat paired with the other elements. The brisket was great by itself but altogether, it just didn�t really belong.




I�m going to have to stick this Soulfire experience with a C+, the plus coming as a direct result of that really excellent barbecue sauce. Maybe if the fried mac was a bit more cheesy, I could�ve chalked up my Reuben disappointment to a poor ordering decision on my part. But, as what should�ve been an easy home run ended up being a ground-roll double, it left this reviewer skeptical of the restaurant�s other offerings. Alas, eat and learn.

Sl33zy

Want to give us an idea for a review? Tell us how much you like the new guy? Have a restaurant you think we need to try? Are you a company who wants us to try your stuff? WELL HERE'S HOW TO GET AHOLD OF US:

EMAIL: fatguyfoodblog@gmail.com
FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/fatguyfoodblog
TWITTER: @fatguyfoodblog
INSTAGRAM: @fatguyfoodblog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Feeling Good Tastes Right: Laney & Lu's Cafe

Jack in the Box: Sriracha Curly Fry Burger Munchie Meal with a side of Panko Onion rings!

BURGER KING: WHOPPERITO